Oh gosh. I haven't been active in so long, I've almost forgotten what to do. But I'm reading so much now that it's summer, I definitely have enough subject matter to make this interesting.
First of all, let me say that this is my new favorite book. Ever. It's 864 pages and took me two months of non-stop reading to complete, and it is honestly one of the most brilliant books out there. Set in 19th-century England, it's the tale of two magicians and their struggles with society, each other, and ultimately, themselves. It's not at all like the magic of Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings series - it's entirely new, beautifully integrated and highly original. If you can get through the first two or three rather stuffy, slow introductory chapters, you'll discover a perfectly paced, seamless adventure. I can't recommend this more highly to anyone who wants a nice long read with luscious characters and truly quotable quotes. Besides the great story, Ms. Clarke really gets into her characters' heads and gives them amazing voice ... I could really blather on about this book much longer than I already have, but you're probably getting tired of me so I'll wrap up :)
First of all, let me say that this is my new favorite book. Ever. It's 864 pages and took me two months of non-stop reading to complete, and it is honestly one of the most brilliant books out there. Set in 19th-century England, it's the tale of two magicians and their struggles with society, each other, and ultimately, themselves. It's not at all like the magic of Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings series - it's entirely new, beautifully integrated and highly original. If you can get through the first two or three rather stuffy, slow introductory chapters, you'll discover a perfectly paced, seamless adventure. I can't recommend this more highly to anyone who wants a nice long read with luscious characters and truly quotable quotes. Besides the great story, Ms. Clarke really gets into her characters' heads and gives them amazing voice ... I could really blather on about this book much longer than I already have, but you're probably getting tired of me so I'll wrap up :)
Hungry Lionel gives this:
5/5
Note: There is a sort of companion guide Ms. Clarke has published - it's called The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories.


No comments:
Post a Comment