Friday, June 8, 2012

Bright Young Things

I read The Luxe series several times a few years back (yes, I cried at the end of Splendor each and every time; in case you haven't read them, check them out.  They seem kind of whore-ish but they are, in fact, quite deeply wonderful).  Imagine my surprise when I discovered Ms. Godbersen had a new series out - this one about the 1920s, still set in New York.  I expected much from this great author, and let me tell you, I wasn't disappointed.

Like The Luxe series, Bright Young Things follows the lives of various teenage girls as they struggle to make it in New York City.  Cordelia wants to find the family she's never known, Astrid's trying to cope with the family she knows all too well, and Letty just wants to escape her boring midwestern life.  Sometimes poignant, sometimes gripping, this book definitely drags in some spots, but in general is paced well and leaves you wanting more.  Personally, I can't wait until I can get a hold of the second book in this promising series.

Hungry Lionel gives this:
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment